Pages

February 1, 2012

Molding Clay

February 2, 2012




Life is good right now. I have a lot to be happy about! I have two awesome kids, a loving supportive husband, two cute cats, and a brand new puppy. I'm also going to have a new niece or nephew, and I get to baby-sit him/her once my sister goes back to work! I'm a busy chick right now with training our new puppy and taking care of my rambunctious two-year-old son. They're both a handful! Especially my son, haha. He's at that age where I need to redirect him away from doing something he shouldn't do into something that he can do. Sometimes I even have to use time out, which absolutely works like a charm every time. If he's throwing a tantrum and won't stop, time out takes care of the problem right away. Then, he's like putty in my hands. 

Really, though, isn't that an accurate way to describe raising kids? They're like clay that are shaped into responsible, productive citizens by the other people around them, adults and children alike. My nine-year-old daughter probably has a lot more influence over my son than I do sometimes! He emulates everything she does. If she's sitting on the couch reading a book, he climbs up next to her with his own book. If she's having a snack after school, he's sharing it with her. When she lies down on the couch because she's tired, he wants to be right there next to her, even if it annoys her.

"Molding" kids into becoming independent adults who will be able to take care of themselves and maybe one day their own children is a work in progress definitely.  I find myself constantly teaching and guiding my son into appropriate behaviors. It has to be that way or else he'd probably end up one of those screaming kids in the grocery store check out line or the kid in the restaurant when it's your anniversary dinner with your significant other and the kid is yelling at the top of his/her lungs--you know what I'm talking about.

Even if you're a parent, you can't help but feel frustrated with other parents in those situations. I must admit, I have been in that situation before, and I felt helpless. Believe it or not, but it as annoying as it is for everyone around the kid, it is equally annoying to the parent. And anxiety provoking as well!

My son has a zest for learning new things, and I couldn't be happier. He wants to be independent and learn to do things for himself, and if he needs help, he's totally okay asking for it. My daughter is the same way. I'm really lucky they're both this way because it makes my job a little easier. And life is tough enough as it is--couldn't we all use a little ease now and then?

2 comments:

  1. Agreed! We all need a break once in a while! I have a boy and girl set too, and yes! they keep me on my toes!

    ps- love your layout!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day awesome! :D This is an award-free zone - thanks for your consideration though!