Pages

July 23, 2012

review ~ fish tank: a fable for our times


FISH TANK:  A Fable for Our Times

Fish Tank: A Fable for Our Times
by Scott Bischke
Published: March 12, 2012
My copy: Paperback
Pages: 150
Genre: Fiction, Fable
Average Rating: 4.27 of 5 stars4.27
My Rating: 5 of 5 stars false 5 out of 5 stars!


Goodreads blurb: FISH TANK is an insightful allegory about the human condition, tackling issues of politics and power, limited resources and climate change.

Goodreads ~ Fish Tank

My Review:
My thanks to the author for sending me a copy of this book for review.

Wow, I don't want to sound cliche, but I absolutely and positively could not put this book down! I read it in one night and thought about the messages within the story with a smile for a long time afterward.

I knew the book was going to deal with politics and the environment but wasn't entirely sure what the plot of the book was going to be like. The ambiguity of the plot really intrigued me from the start. Once I finished reading, I thought the way Mr. Bischke told this entertaining story to get important points about serious issues across to the reader was purely clever. There were even parts where I found myself laughing.

Both children and adults can read and enjoy this book. Some of the subtleties might be lost on younger readers, but this would be a great tool to open up discussion with them about the effects human beings are having on the environment and the ways in which politics are involved in the environmental issues we as an entire planet are facing.

I know I'm definitely going to have my daughter, who's nine, read this book, and I think this will be of great value in having a way to help expand on what she already knows about the environment.

Last but not least, anyone of any political stripe can (and in my opinion will) enjoy this book. There are no leanings to one side of the political spectrum or the other, and the reader is not hit over the head with some hidden political agenda. The humorous parts of the book are poking some fun at political viewpoints, but those viewpoints are from all sides. I am confident no matter the reader's political affiliation is, he or she will love this book. I know I did! This is definitely worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and make my day awesome! :D This is an award-free zone - thanks for your consideration though!