Welcome to my stop on the Gifted Trilogy Blog Tour hosted by Book Monster Promotions. Click to follow along with the full tour schedule.
Title: Gift of Sight
Series: The Gifted Trilogy #1
Author: Erin Manbeck
Publication date: February 27th 2014
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal
Source: Copy for review
WARNING: Adult language & sexual situations
Feisty, smart mouth Regan thought that breaking up with her boyfriend Sam was going to be the start of her independence. Instead, she is manipulated and dragged into a world where sharp, sarcastic wit isn't going to save her. Turning to her Gram for help, the only remaining relative she has, Regan is upset to find out that her grandmother has been keeping family secrets of her own all these years.
With a vengeful goddess using people to try and bring Regan to the Underworld, Gram brings in three Guardians to protect her. Given the short version of what is expected of her, loaded with a lot of expectations for her future, Regan knows first-hand that life is too short. She isn't letting anyone make life-altering decisions for her despite finding out that the vengeful goddess has placed a price on her head.
This book will make you laugh, feel connected to the characters, and leave you wanting more.
Gift of Sight appealed to me with its beautiful cover and awesome-sounding synopsis. I'm always ready to read about a feisty, sarcastic heroine. And a vengeful goddess hellbent on bringing said heroine to the Underworld? Count me in!
I sympathized with Regan in her relationship with Sam right away not because I thought she was helpless - she isn't - but because she had become a shell of herself without realizing it until it had already happened. To me that's realistic and can happen even to the smartest of people. A relationship can change you and not always for the better, especially if you're with a toxic person. Sam is definitely a toxic person.
I won't lie - Regan is a tough character to connect with. There were times I wanted to slap her for the way she spoke to her grandma. I get that she felt lied to her entire life, but her grandma has always taken care of her with a lot of love. Could she not see why her grandma couldn't tell her all of this until now? There was no malicious intent - things just worked out this way. Instead of feisty, I'd describe Regan as bratty.
The decision Regan makes to finally get rid of Sam changes everything, much more than just ridding herself of a toxic boyfriend. She finds out a ton of things about her family that she never knew and understandably doesn't handle it well, but this news also gives her hope which she seemed to forget. I'd like to think I'd hold on to that hope and not be so angry about secrets being kept from me. At least eventually.
I'm hoping that in the next book Regan's character undergoes a lot of growth. Otherwise, it'll be difficult to believe she's supposed to be an important figure in what's supposed to go down. I'm looking forward to finding out if Regan matures and is ready to face the challenges ahead of her.
Playlists for the Trilogy
by Erin Manbeck
Gift of Sight (Book #1)
- "Burn it to the Ground" - Nickleback (Regan & Jake's Song)
- "4 Real" - Avril Lavigne (Regan to Jake)
- "We Don't Have to Look Back Now" - Puddle of Mudd (Date Night)
- "Wake Me Up!" - Avicii (Regan's Theme Song)
- "Tangled Up in You" - Staind (Jake's thoughts on Regan)
- "Run the World (Girls)" - (Piper's Theme Song)
- "I'll Keep Your Memory Vague" (Maggie's Hidden Song)
- "Everything Has Changed" - Taylor Swift feat Ed Sheeran (Regan's introduction to Jake)
- "Fake It" - Seether (Regan's song to Sam)
- "Roar" - Katy Perry (Regan's revelation after meeting Agrona)
Gift of Power (Book #2)
- "Eye of the Tiger" - Survivor (Piper's song for Regan)
- "Dancing Queen" - ABBA (Piper's song for Jake)
- "You'll Be Okay" - A Great Big World (Tribute to Gram)
- "Arms" - Christine Perry (Regan's song for Jake)
- "Brave" - Sara Bareilles (What everyone else sees in Regan)
- "Close Your Eyes" - Michael Buble (Garden Song)
- "Burn" - Ellie Goulding (Leaving for Ireland)
- "Dark Horse" - Katy Perry feat Juicy J (Regan and Jake's bedroom song)
- "Raging Fire" - Phillip Phillips (Jake pulling Regan from the darkness)
- "Count on Me" - Bruno Mars (The Girls' Song)
Gift of Prophecy (Book #3)
- "I Will Not Bow" - Breaking Benjamin (Regan's Song - Council Meeting)
- "Indestructible" - Disturbed (Regan's New Theme Song)
- "All Your Life" - The Band Perry (Regan's song to Jake)
- "Gone, Gone, Gone" - Phillip Phillips (Regan to Gram)
- "Home" - Phillip Phillips (Jake's song when he brings her to the cottage)
- "Soldiers" - Otherwise (The Guardians' theme song)
- "When I'm Gone" - 3 Doors Down (Regan's fears if she doesn't make it)
- "Mama's Song" - Carrie Underwood (Song for Veronica and Gram)
- "Are You Going to Be My Girl" - Jett (Sam's song to Piper)
~ Other books in the series ~
Title: Gift of Power
Series: The Gifted Trilogy #2
Publication date: April 20th 2014
Power equals responsibility.
Despite declaring to those closest to her that she will take her position as Queen, Regan's first priority is not to rule, but to find her parents. With Jake at her side, she is determined to learn how to use her new powers and hide from her destiny, as well as the Council, a little while longer.
Unfortunately, someone has been watching and reporting every move Regan makes. She is disheartened to find out the Council is already eagerly awaiting her arrival in Ireland and have apparently started to plan her future...one that does not include Jake.
Regan must decide just how much she is willing to sacrifice to protect her people from a vengeful goddess while also weeding out the traitor among them. In the end, will she have the strength to withstand losing any of them?
Title: Gift of Prophecy
Series: The Gifted Trilogy #3
Publication date: May 31st 2014
Regan's arrival in Ireland may have heightened her powers, but it has also given Agrona and her minions more cause to make sure she never makes it to her coronation. With every attack and the harsh welcome she receives from the council, Regan is more determined than ever to prove why the deities have chosen her to be the Queen.
Although part of her has accepted that she may have to make the ultimate sacrifice, it isn't until Regan finds herself in the Otherworld being handed over to Agrona that the reality hits her. Will Jake and her family survive without her?
I'm an author in hiding...I still work full time, but don't ever look over my shoulder to see what's on my computer screen. Chances are you will find me secretly writing.
Besides family and friends, I love to laugh. It may be at the expense of those I love, but they get me, so I usually don't offend too much.
Honesty...I can't help it. I usually say what I feel, but with a little guidance, I've learned to be more tactful. I've worked in plenty of environments (trucking company, correction officer and I was in the military to mention a few) so I guess you can say that's where my mouth and attitude come from. Either way, as long as I get my morning cup of coffee people are safe.
The Trilogy is complete and I also have a new stand-alone book called "Dreamless". It's a Paranormal Suspense that's a bit lighter on the language, but will keep you guess who the Nightmare really is.
Blog Tour organized by: