Pages

May 30, 2014

Feature & Follow #50 ~ Great Characters or Gorgeous Writing?


Feature & Follow Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read where two blogs are featured. Click the links above to follow the hosting bloggers and featured bloggers. Enter your own post's link in the linky, then hop around to as many blogs as you can - find new blogs to follow and gain new followers as well. Mingle and make some new bloggy friends! :D

Follow me any way you'd like 
as long as you keep coming back, lol! ;) 
I do like bloglovin' & GFC follows :D



Q:  How important is good writing to you? In an ideal world, a book would be beautifully written AND have great character development, plot, etc. 

But in the real world, which do you prefer: 


(1) Great characters and plot with lousy writing 
or 
(2) Middling character development and plot but gorgeous writing

A: This is a really hard question to answer for me because I really want both, lol. I think if I had to choose, I'd go with option one. Even if the writing is bad, as long as I care about the characters, I think I could make it through. Characters are very important to me. 

How about you? 


16 comments:

  1. Nice! Yeah, we all want both but if it came down to one, I'd pick characters, plot and all that jazz over superb writing.

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree, Jessica! Heading over to your FF. Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  2. Hey! Old follower. I have the opposite view. But to each their own! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Greg! In your post, you make great points that I have found in books before causing me to struggle with finishing them, especially spelling and grammar mistakes. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. I have the opposite view, but I had a hard time deciding too! Don't we all want both - like having our cake and eating it, too! :)

    New Follower - first FF. Here's mine: http://girlof1000wonders.wordpress.com/2014/05/30/feature-follow-friday/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlie! I can understand your view, and you're right. Luckily, most of the time we all can find books that have both so we don't have to choose. This was a tough question to answer because I know I want it all, lol! Thanks for following me, and welcome to FF Friday! :)

      Delete
  4. Hi! New follower here. I love this Friday's topic. Agree with all the way - bad writing just usually ends up in my DNF pile.

    Vanessa @ Bluest Ribbon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vanessa! Yep, if I can't connect with the book, usually with the characters, I can't read it. I care about characters a lot, and it's become more and more apparent when I read over reviews I write. I tend to focus on them almost more than the plot sometimes. Thanks for following - following you back! :)

      Delete
  5. We share the same thought.

    New twitter, fb & G+ follower. Old GFC & bloglovin follower. Follow me back via my ff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike! :) Thanks for following - following back! :)

      Delete
  6. I agree with you. I have to feel some kind of connection with the book, usually the characters, to really get into it, whether the writing is good or not.

    Thank you for stopping by Booksniffer Book Reviews, AND for the birthday wishes! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck yeah! If I don't care about at least the characters, I just can't make myself read the book. You're welcome, Christina, and I hope your birthday was a blast! (Still jealous of your new shirt, lol.)

      Delete
  7. I haven't participated in Follow Friday for a while now. I should get back into it this week! This topic is a hard one... I think I want to love the characters myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a hard one to answer! Yep, I agree with you - I need to love the characters, at least one of them! Thanks for stopping by, Angela! :)

      Delete
  8. Good answer to a hard question. I'm an existing follower.
    Diane @ Diane's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane! Old follower of yours, too. :)

      Delete

Leave a comment and make my day awesome! :D This is an award-free zone - thanks for your consideration though!