Pages

July 17, 2018

Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage ~ #BookReview #NetGalley

July 17, 2018




Title: Baby Teeth
Author: Zoje Stage
Release Date: July 17, 2018
Publisher: St. Martin's Press  
Genre: Thriller  

Source: Copy for review via the publisher 



My Rating: 






Synopsis 


Sweetness can be deceptive. 

Meet Hanna.

She’s the sweet-but-silent angel in the adoring eyes of her Daddy. He’s the only person who understands her, and all Hanna wants is to live happily ever after with him. But Mommy stands in her way, and she’ll try any trick she can think of to get rid of her. Ideally for good.

Meet Suzette.

She loves her daughter, really, but after years of expulsions and strained home schooling, her precarious health and sanity are weakening day by day. As Hanna’s tricks become increasingly sophisticated, and Suzette's husband remains blind to the failing family dynamics, Suzette starts to fear that there’s something seriously wrong, and that maybe home isn’t the best place for their baby girl after all.



At once horrifying and captivating, Baby Teeth was a story that will stay with me for a long time. It was so compelling, I couldn't look away. I hated having to put it down for reasons such as sleeping. Who needs sleep, right? 

This novel is told in third person alternating between Suzette's and Hanna's points of view and was a roller coaster ride between Suzette's anxiety, Hanna's disdain and hatred for her mother, and Alex's naivety. Their mother-daughter relationship is fraught with tension, exacerbated by Alex's unwillingness to believe their daughter is anything but an angel.   

Alex's character was frustrating. He wanted to stick his head in the sand and pretend everything was perfect rather than believe his daughter needed help. I wanted to yell at him! 

While Suzette isn't the best mother ever, I did feel bad for her. She was dealing with Hanna alone without the support of her husband, and that would drive anyone to the brink of a breakdown. 

Baby Teeth haunted me to my core, and I loved every minute of it. How can a seven-year-old child know how to be so manipulative at her age? I would have liked more mystery as to Hanna's thoughts and plans, but reading from her perspective was super creepy. I appreciate my family so much after reading this book! If you're an adrenaline junkie like me and love thrillers, Baby Teeth is the book for you.    


Thanks for visiting Donnie Darko Girl! 


5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I can't wait to read this- it sounds so freaky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's SO GOOD. I hated having to put it down to sleep!

      Delete
  2. Sounds fabulous. I like creepy. :-)
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's SUPER creepy, and I loved every minute of it. I hope you do, too!

      Delete

Leave a comment and make my day awesome! :D This is an award-free zone - thanks for your consideration though!