Pages

July 1, 2021

The Button by Ellen Allen ~ #bookreview #dystopian

 


Title: The Button  

Author: Ellen Allen  

Publisher: BookBaby  

Publication date: July 2, 2020

Source: From the author for review 

Purchase: Amazon | B&N | Kobo 



Synopsis


A global catastrophe...an airborne disease...a small group of survivors...a new set of rules. 

For the fledgling community which emerges, self-sufficiency is vital, but daily life is a grind without electricity. 

Particularly for First Borns, who are forced to stay at home, forced to tend house and forced to press a button every 90 minutes. No exceptions. 

But for one girl, it's time to say no.   



My Rating: 3 / 5 stars 


The synopsis for Ellen Allen's The Button gave me chills! Especially the last line: "But for one girl, it's time to say no." And I'm like, damn straight it is! Screw the system!! 

I agreed to review this because the synopsis was so intriguing, and I did know going in that it was gonna be a short read, so I tried to prepare myself, but it still felt way too short. There wasn't enough time allowed for more world building. Further character development would've really made this story pop. 

This story could easily be transformed into a full length novel -- there's a lot of fantastic out-of-this-world creative ideas here that could be opened up. I know I'd definitely read it. 

Back in 2014, I read Allen's novel, The Sham, and it was amazing!! She can definitely write, there's no question about it. Click here if you'd like to read my review of her debut novel, The Sham. I can't wait to see what she writes next. I'm definitely reading everything and anything Allen writes, that's for sure!



*Thanks so much for visiting! I'm getting back into book review writing and posting, so keep coming back, I've got a lot of good stuff planned. :) *  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and make my day awesome! :D This is an award-free zone - thanks for your consideration though!