Pages

May 23, 2012

I'm with the Band ~ Part 3

I'm hoping my daughter will want to be in the band. She's about reached the end of her third grade year, and here where we live, students have the option of choosing to be in the band and picking out an instrument at the end of fourth grade. At this time, she says she doesn't plan on being in the band, but I have a feeling she may change her mind once they bust out those instruments. :)

She says she'd rather be a cheerleader, which her dad and I totally support. Any school activity she'd like to participate in, we're all for it. If she chooses not to be in band, I'll be a bit sad, but I've never made her join in any school activities that she did not want to be a part of. I won't force her to be in band either, obviously. :)  Besides, I always wanted to be a cheerleader when I was in junior high and high school, but I never had the guts to try out. I'd be ecstatic to see my outgoing daughter try out for something she really wants to do!

If she does end up wanting to be in band, I'm really curious as to what instrument she'll want to play. I'm not even going to say anything about any instrument because I want to make sure the decision is totally hers. :)   I have a feeling she won't want to play the cornet--she'll want to play something different from me. I'd be excited no matter what she wants to play! Her dad may pass out from sticker shock like my dad did, but it isn't like they make you pay the entire amount all at once. I'll have to remind him of that once I revive him with some cold water!

2 comments:

  1. In elementary school back east they did something like that. We went to a sort of assembaly and they'd show us instruments. the one I picked was the clarinet. Didn't go too well with the bronchitis and all but I did try. cood luck to your daughter in whatever she chooses to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they showed us the instruments where I went to school, I first chose the trombone; however, the band teacher for elementary school and my future band teacher that year, told me I was too short to play that. I then wanted to play the clarinet, but when I tried to make a sound, it didn't work. He then discouraged me from playing that, too. Jerk! I ended up deciding on the cornet. I had a friend who played the clarinet in junior high, and she taught me how to play simple songs on it. Guess what? I could play it!! So, I think what did it matter if I couldn't get a sound out that day when we were picking out what to play? Isn't that the whole point of band practice? I wasn't born just knowing how to play an instrument. Ok, now I'm just sounding bitter, lol.

      Anyway, thanks for the good luck! All I care about is that my daughter is happy in whatever she does and has as much fun as possible before she has to grow up and face a bunch of responsibilities. :D

      Delete

Leave a comment and make my day awesome! :D This is an award-free zone - thanks for your consideration though!