Pages

May 23, 2012

Weigh in Wednesday ~ Novellas vs. Anthologies





This is a new weekly meme hosted by Lauren from Epilogue. Each week there will be a something vs. something topic for you to post your thoughts about. Make sure to visit Epilogue, and she has a link if you'd like to use her picture (shown above) as well as the blog hop code. Comments below with your thoughts are always appreciated! :)

The topic this week: Novellas vs. Anthologies

My thoughts: I haven't read too many novellas or anthologies yet in my life. When  I read a short story, I'm usually disappointed that it's ended (which is a good thing) and left wanting more! It's nice to read a novella if I want a quick read, but not too quick--something to read that's shorter than a novel but longer than a short story. I think it's a nice option, and one day when I attempt to write fiction for real, I think I'll start out with a novella. :)

2 comments:

  1. Books are like food to me. I'll read or try anything. From the spicy adventure to the foul tasting classics by authors such as Camus. I've even had a sample of those thick, rich pieces of literature that Marcel Proust has written. I even like to dive into something others would consider bland like a science history book (used to read my history book from cover to cover when I was in high school).

    Personally, I'd go both ways. Anthologies are like the sampler platter you get at restaurants. You have a tiny portion of everything so you can give everything a try. I don't think I've read any novellas but would be willing to try those tasty morsels too. They could be dessert.

    P.S. I think I have some type of weird synesthesia. Sometimes, when I read something, I either hear music or another sound or get some kind of flavor in my mouth. "Season of Migration to the North" and "The Stranger" were two books that left foul flavors in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good attitude to have towards books! Try new stuff, read anything. My husband read his history books in school, too. That is true about anthologies--they are like a sampler. Thanks for your comments--they're making me hungry for dinner, lol.

      Delete

Leave a comment and make my day awesome! :D This is an award-free zone - thanks for your consideration though!